Link Building Help (Open Athens)
There are three types of methods to construct permalinks (purls) from our databases with the Open Athens Authentication System. For directions for a specific provider visit our Building eResource Links page or watch our tutorial, Linking to Articles from Library Databases.
With some of our resources all you do is take the url as instructed in Building eResource Links and use them as they are.
- These links will not work with the Link Generator.
- List of Providers that fall in this category: EBSCO, Proquest, and Gale
With some of our resources you take the url as instructed in Building eResource Links and copy it into the link generator.
With some of our resources you take the url as instructed in Building eResource Links, replace it with other code and copy it into the link generator.
- This usually means replacing dashes with periods and removing specific code or wording.
- A common mistake when building these links is leaving an additional space in the url. The url should not have any spaces.
- Another common mistake is forgetting to run it through the link generator after you have the new url.
- Theoretically, if you did not replace the code the links would still work but the user is directed to a login screen (different appearance with different providers) where they have to figure out what to choose (OA Login or Login in with your Institution, etc.), then they have to choose their organization and login with our SAML login screen (same as other campus logins).
General troubleshooting and help tips for all the methods:
- Watch for the info graphic () on each page for important notes or information about that specific provider
- Always check your links off campus to ensure that all of your students have access in a fresh browser.
- You should only see the login screen if you have not logged into any other campus authenticated system.
- If you see any login screen other than the ONU SAML screen there is an error. We recommend you try the directions one more time and then contact the eresource team for assistance.
This web page was created by Ann Johnston, Informatics Librarian, on 6/1/2020. The content of the page was updated on 6/22/2020.